Thayil Jacob Sony George (born 7 May 1928), better known as TJS George or simply TJS is a writer and biographer. TJS was born to Thayil Thomas Jacob, a magistrate, and Chachiamma Jacob, a housewife, in Thumpamon in Kerala. He lives in Bangaluru with his wife Ammu. He has a daughter, Sheba Thayil and a sonJeet Thayyil, writer.
T. J. S. George has achieved distinction internationally as a professional author, serious political columnist and biographer with a series of major books. After graduating from Madras Christian College , Chennai with an Honours degree in English Literature, he began his career in The Free Press Journal , in then Bombay in 1950. He moved through the International Press Institute, The Searchlight, and the Far Eastern Economic review to become the founding editor of Asiaweek (Hong Kong).
He is currently the Editorial Advisor of The Indian Express. A veteran senior journalist and one of the best known columnists in India, he continues his fight against social injustice, corruption and political anarchies through his columns.
Few media persons have experienced the romance of journalism in as great a measure as T. J. S. George has. His journey from the newsroom of S. Sadanand’s Free Press Journal to the top of the profession was eventful. While heading a Bihar daily, he earned the displeasure of the chief minister and became the first editor to be charged with sedition in free India. During a stint abroad, the highlight of which was the founding of Asiaweek in Hong Kong with himself as its Editor, he incurred the wrath of some of Southeast Asia’s rulers.
He received Padma Bhushan award in 2011 in the field of literature and education. Other awards he received areare Basheer Puraskaram Award (2008), Rajyotsava Award (2007), C H Muhammed Koya Journalism Award (2005) Patrika Academy Award (2001) Padma Bhushan (2011) Azeekodu Award (2013)
1) Krishna Menon 1964;
2) Lee Quan Yew’s Singapore, 1973
3) Life and Times of Nargis,1994 4)
4)The Enquire Dictionary: Ideas, Issues, Innovations ( 1998)
5)The Enquire Dictionary of Quotations ( 2001 )
6) Lessons in Journalism - The Story of Pothan Joseph ( 2007)
7) The First Refuge of Scoundrels: Politics in Modern India ( 2003)
8) Revolt in Mindanao: The Rise of Islam in Philippine Politics (1980)
9) Revolt in Bihar: A study of the August 1965 uprising (1965)
10) Moments (1965).
11) The Provincial Press in India (1966)
12) Editing: A Handbook for Journalists ( 1989)
13) India 1000 to 2000: the story of a 1000 years (, 2000)
14) (ed.) India at 50: Facts, Figures and Analyses 1947 - 1997 (1997)
15) MS - A Life in Music, ( 2004)
16) The Goenka Letters: Behind the scenes in The Indian Express (2006)
17) Nātōtikkappalil nālumāsam (2006 Malayalam translation by Malayattoor Ramakrishnan, illustrations by Bal Thakkaray. Original title: Journalist at sea)
18) Ghōshayāthra (Malayalam, 2008)